Monday, January 24, 2011

Weinberger - Prologue, Chapters 1 & 2


                In the prologue of Everything is Miscellaneous David Weinberger discusses how and why businesses (particularly Staples) organize their stores in the way they do.  He also mentions the physical limitations inherent in the organization of physical objects, and how this compares to the new order or rather orders that can be used with digital information by touching on the idea of miscellaneous information.  In the first chapter, Weinberger moves on to talk about how we use order in our everyday lives.  In addition he discusses the “three orders of order”; the first being the actual data or object, the second is physical meta-data, a card catalogue is his example, and the third is digital data and meta-data that is unconstrained by physical limitations.  The second chapter covers organizational methods, and focuses largely on alphabetization.  The major theme of this chapter is the arbitrary nature of most of our organizational methods, how and why we came to use them, and the various people who say we should abandon them.

                One thing that I spend my time keeping organized is my book collection.  Books are divided into groups that I consider to be roughly similar, either in subject/genre or writing style.  After that they get separated into author clumps (I don’t bother with alphabetizing) and organized into series order (if any).  I try to separate hardbacks and paperbacks, but author or series trumps this.  Books that I read often are put in the most prominent/easily accessible bookshelves; books that I read less frequently are banished to the bookshelves wedged into the back of my closet.  Cookbooks and school books are usually in their own shelf in the living room.  Borrowed books are kept on a table by the bedroom door; this keeps them visible and prevents them from being absorbed into the rest of the mass.
                This sort of organization works for me because it allows me to keep my books in appropriate areas (cookbooks closer to the kitchen, most read books out in the open, etc.).  It’s also set up this way because I tend to read certain kinds of books when I’m in particular moods and arranging similar books in groups makes it simple for me to browse each type of book.

6 comments:

  1. You must have a ton of books to be able to categorize them so intensely haha. But I do enjoy the utility and efficiency that you seem to have in this categorization of your books. I think that this will become the main idea behind order on the web. If we are doing away with these arbitrary methods of categorization, then logically the best way is the most efficient and easy to use method, which you seem to be doing here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with David, it sounds like you do have a lot of books! It is good that you organize them. It is interesting that you brought up the arbitrary nature of our organizational methods. After reading the chapters in the book, did you begin to question any of your methods for organizing your books? I also like how you brought up the point of miscellaneous information, and the description of the three types of order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a good job in summarizing the two chapters. I couldn’t do it in one paragraph I felt like there was too much information so I kind of elaborated on some stuff. I like your response though.
    I must comment on your book collection as everyone else so far. How many books do you have? Its sounds like you put a lot of time on the organization of your books. I can probably count all the books I have by using one hand, well not counting school books because I have like 10 of those for 5 classes. I can’t even get those books organized I just throw them on the floor when I get home or after I read them that seems to work so far. Again. great job on summarizing the chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, since everybody seems to be asking: I do have a lot of books. I've 3 bookshelves in my room and another in my living room, they are all filled to overflowing.

    The organizing part just sort of grew along with the number of books. As I acquired new ones they were simply added to the preferred place. Nowadays the biggest organizational quandary is how to fit them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading your blog I took some time to look at how we organize different things. Although it varies slightly with different subjects all of our organization seems to work better by grouping in categories.
    It is interesting that other blogs I read mentioned that they order their books in size not by subject. I assume they still have a categories for each book much like you but once broken down into those categories

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post, and a particularly nice job of describing the orders of order. I try my best to organize my books like you do, however I fail often (particularly when someone borrows one, brings it back, and I'm too distracted to put it where it needs to go). It's a loose order. I need a database, and digitized books. My life would be easier.

    ReplyDelete